Raspberry is a well-known berry. This fruit tastes sweet, sometimes it has a slightly sharp flavor. Raspberry almost melts in the mouth due to its softness and sweet texture, and therefore this berry is so popular.
Rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber, raspberries are a delicious berry with many health benefits.
In particular, raspberries have a very high concentration of ellagic acid and phenolic compounds, which prevents the onset of cancer or stops the growth of cancer cells.
Fresh raspberries help to neutralize the negative effects of sunlight and lose weight, and also takes care of the skin during aging. In short, the useful properties of raspberries are very diverse and multifaceted – we will talk about them below.
Calorie content and composition of raspberries
Useful properties of raspberries provide a chemical composition. Delicious berries can share vitamins:
The content of trace elements in raspberries is no less rich:
100 g of berries contain:
- carbohydrates (11.9 g);
- proteins (1.2 g);
- fats (0.7 g).
Carbohydrates are mainly represented by glucose and fructose. Other components are equally useful:
- essential oils;
- organic acids (pantothenic, folic, salicylic).
Dietary fiber is 18.5%. Raspberry refers to low-calorie foods: 100 g of berries contains about 50 kcal.
Useful properties of raspberries
Raspberries, namely its berries, contain tannins, nitrogenous, pectin components, as well as various types of acids (malic, salicylic, formic, tartaric). Also in the berries there are seeds, in the composition of which found fatty oils and phytosterol. The leaves of the bush contain organic acids, pectin, volatile and other useful trace elements.
Surely many in their childhood with colds made tea from fresh raspberries or raspberry jam. Parents know a lot about berries, because it was not because of the taste that they prepared such a drink, but because of its benefits. Such tea contains many vitamins of group C and salicylic acid, which lowers heat and serves as a diaphoretic. Raspberries are like aspirin, only there are no chemicals in it and it does not cause side effects. It is recommended to gargle with decoctions and tinctures based on raspberries for tonsillitis and laryngitis, because have anti-inflammatory effect and relieve pain.
Raspberry contains beta-sitosterol, which prevents the accumulation of cholesterol on the walls of blood vessels; as well as phytosterol, which is a prophylactic of atherosclerosis. Coumarins with regular use of berries normalizes the process of blood coagulation and reduces the amount of prothrombin. There is also magnesium in raspberries, which improves the functioning of the heart muscles; anthocyanins – strengthen capillaries. Berries are recommended in order to stop bleeding, to prevent anemia and increase blood pressure.
Raspberries are recommended for food poisoning when there is diarrhea and vomiting. Berries are also useful for relieving pain in the stomach; recommended for people with low weight – improve appetite. In addition, raspberries can reduce the absorption of cholesterol by the body.
To relieve swelling
Raspberry is useful for edema of the bladder and kidneys, has a positive effect on the work of the kidneys, and acts as a prophylactic of various diseases of these organs.
Thanks to raspberries, toxins are eliminated from the body, as raspberries have a diuretic effect. It protects the body from the growth of fungi, staphylococcus and yeast spores. Raspberries contain pectins, which remove the heavy metal salts of their body.
In addition to the vitamins contained in raspberries, minerals are important for the functioning of the body. Berries contain copper, which affects the strengthening of the nervous system, so they are recommended for people suffering from constant stress and emotional overload.
Raspberries contain salicylic acid, which has an anti-inflammatory function, so the berries are recommended for people who have problems with the musculoskeletal system.
Raspberry contains fruit acids that cope with alcohol and remove the products of its decay from the body, therefore it is effective to eat raspberries during a hangover.
Thanks to raspberries, appetite improves and intestines work, as it contains fiber. Thanks to malic, citric and other acids, digestive processes are activated. Raspberry is recommended for constipation, as has a laxative effect. Tincture of raspberry foliage can be drunk with gastritis and to stop bleeding in the stomach. To normalize the digestive tract, it is advisable to eat 15 berries before eating.
Dietitians recommend eating raspberries with increased weight. Despite the fact that the berries are quite sweet due to the presence of fructose in them, they practically do not contain sugar. In 100 gr. contains 40 kcal, and thanks to lipolytic enzymes, berries break down fat stores.
If you regularly consume berries, the intestines will work correctly, and the muscles of the uterus will become smooth, which is an important factor in planning and proceeding with pregnancy. It is recommended to drink raspberry tea to stabilize the menstrual cycle and relieve pain. The berries contain folic acid, which helps the fetus to form properly. But during pregnancy, it is forbidden to drink tea from raspberry foliage until the 36th week.
In cosmetology, mainly fresh raspberries are used. Different masks for the skin of the face are prepared from berries, which fight against wrinkles and acne, give the skin elasticity and rejuvenate it, as well as moisturize and nourish it. You can use raspberry-based masks for all skin types.
The benefits of raspberries for men
The same potassium, which supports the work of the heart, actively affects the excretion of urine and the processes occurring in the kidneys. Largely thanks to him, the accumulation of stones and sand does not occur here and in the bladder. But the properties of raspberries to solve problems with sexual impotence and infertility are even more famous in folk medicine. Moreover, both fresh berries and various teas and tinctures are effective here.
Raspberry has a positive effect on the male prostate. The painful problem of many men – the growth of this gland – recedes with regular consumption of berries. But it has a completely different effect on other glands of the body.
Raspberry strengthens women’s health
Raspberry leaves can be used as herbal tea for women who regulate the menstrual cycle and want to reduce the appearance of PMS.
For pregnant women, raspberry tea helps relieve nausea. And for nursing mothers, raspberries and raspberry tea help increase the amount of breast milk.
Raspberry in the prevention of various infections and cancer
Raspberries have excellent antioxidant properties due to the content of ellagic acid. Raspberry berries help stop unwanted damage to cell membranes by neutralizing free radicals.
Raspberries contain flavonoids, mainly anthocyanins, which give it such a rich red color. Please note that yellow and white raspberries have a lower percentage of anthocyanins.
Raspberry anthocyanins are responsible for its unique antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. Eating raspberries helps to reduce the growth of certain bacteria and fungi in the body, contributing to the development of various infections.
In addition, recent studies have shown that raspberries can have protective properties against the development of cancerous tumors. After some research, scientists concluded that raspberries can serve as a prophylactic against the development of cancer cells and tumors in different parts of the body, including the colon.
Benefits of raspberries for children
When to start giving raspberries to a child?
To the question of many parents about how and from what age it is possible to give berries to a child, there is no consensus among experts. Most experts in the medical field claim that such berries can be gradually introduced into the diet of children upon reaching the year. The final decision still remains with the parents, as some begin to add raspberries to their food before the year. There is an opinion that it is possible to start introducing berries into food from eight months old.
An important point – it is necessary to observe the basic principles of introducing new berries into the child’s menu.
- First, you need to offer the child one ripe fruit.
- If, after a day, no allergic reaction is detected, then you can give the child 2 berries.
- Gradually increasing the number of fruits, you should approach the daily norm – one handful.
- If you still have an allergy, then you need to postpone the addition of berries to the diet for a couple of months.
Is it possible to give at temperature?
Tea with raspberries has long been used for colds, since this berry has the property of lowering body temperature during fever.
Since the child begins to sweat more after eating raspberries, in addition to such a drink, he should be given another liquid to avoid dehydration. In addition, raspberries are not used to lower the temperature in babies under the age of one year.
Tips for choosing raspberries for children
When choosing raspberries for a small child, pay particular attention to the quality of the berries. Ideally, berries should be picked from your garden, but if you are buying them on the market, inspect and smell the product. Get dry, whole and not crushed berries with bright colors and a pleasant aroma.
In many cases, the seller gives one raspberry a try, so that the buyer is convinced of its sweet taste. This will help you choose a tasty berry and not add sugar to it. Do not buy damaged product with rotten or moldy areas.
If the baby reacted to the ripe berry with an allergic reaction, with the introduction of complementary foods, you need to wait a few more months. If the crumbs are prone to allergies, they are advised to treat the child with raspberries not earlier than 3 years of age.
Raspberries during pregnancy – is it possible?
Not just what you can, but what you need! Raspberry has many useful properties that are simply necessary for pregnant women. Let’s start in order:
- What is needed during pregnancy? Naturally calcium, namely, its proper absorption. This is where raspberries help. It contributes to better absorption of calcium in the body of a pregnant woman, which is so necessary.
- Raspberries contain fiber, which is not only very important for the expectant mother, but also prevents constipation, which often occur in pregnant women.
- Raspberry improves the circulatory system. Due to the fact that a pregnant woman increases blood volume, this property is also very significant.
- Folic acid, which many expectant mothers are prescribed to take in tablets or drops in large quantities, is found in raspberries.
- Antipyretic property. We all know that pregnant women should not use antibiotics and many antipyretic syrups, but raspberries, which have this property, are not prohibited, which means tea with raspberries is a good conclusion for a future mother at the time of a cold.
- If you have toxicosis, raspberries will help you. It relieves intoxication in the body and dulls nausea.
- Thanks to all of the above properties, raspberries also relieve swelling, which often become pregnancy companions.
- In addition to all this, it can be noted that raspberries contain many vitamins, which in total bring great benefits to the body and increase the immunity of the expectant mother and her baby. Therefore, you should not be afraid to use this beautiful berry during the period of bearing the baby, but still you need to take into account the characteristics of your body and some contraindications.
Raspberries for weight loss
This berry is ideal for fruit diets. Besides the fact that raspberries are tasty, healthy and nutritious, it is also low-calorie – 100 grams of fresh berries contain only 50 kcal. At the same time, raspberry improves blood circulation, speeds up metabolism; promotes gentle cleansing of toxins and “excess” water, facilitating the work of the kidneys and other organs.
- To get started, try short diets for two to three days. An example menu for such a diet:
- Breakfast – 100 g raspberries with yogurt (200 g)
- Lunch – 100 g raspberries and two teaspoons of honey
- Lunch – 150 g of boiled fish or chicken, salad (cucumbers and tomatoes), raspberry tea or juice
- Dinner – raspberries (100-150 g), nuts (1 tablespoon), a glass of yogurt (kefir, fermented baked milk, etc.).
When you leave the diet, continue to eat it instead of snacks and use it to make desserts, juices and cocktails.
10 interesting facts about raspberries
- The first raspberry crops date back to the 16th century. She prefers a mild climate and can grow in hilly areas and in the mountains up to 2000 meters above sea level.
- In addition to its unique taste, raspberries are widely used in herbal medicine. It contains a sufficient amount of minerals, including magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and sodium. It also has a significant amount of vitamins, especially vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K and vitamin J.
- Raspberry is 80% water and therefore a diuretic, refreshing and cleansing product.
- 100 g of raspberries contains 34 kcal. Low in sugar and calories makes it useful for people with blood sugar problems or for those who follow low-calorie diets.
- Raspberry contains ellagic acid, therefore it is an antioxidant.
- From raspberry leaves, you can prepare infusions against inflammation of the intestines and respiratory tract.
- Raspberries should be picked only after full ripening, because after separation from the plant, it immediately begins to fade. Raspberries need to be picked in the morning and not washed, so as not to damage the delicate berries.
- Raspberry berries easily deteriorate, so it is advisable to store them in the refrigerator and consume for a maximum of two or three days.
- Raspberry is an ally of women. Due to its properties, it helps to alleviate the symptoms of painful menstruation and control diseases that occur during menopause. In the case of pregnancy and breastfeeding, raspberries are well tolerated, but it is always useful to consult a gynecologist.
- Raspberries should be avoided in case of gout or kidney problems, as they contain oxalic acid. In addition, it interacts with iron-based drugs, limiting their absorption.
Raspberry Side Effects
If we talk about pregnancy, given the stimulating effect, then in no case should you drink raspberry decoctions in the first trimesters. This can lead to fetal loss! Berries are contraindicated for people suffering from:
- urolithiasis disease;
- stomach ulcer;
- bronchial asthma;
- diabetes mellitus;
- allergic reactions to raspberries are known, especially in children.
Having considered the benefits and harms of raspberries, it becomes clear that its berries are an invaluable gift of nature to the human body. Raspberries can cure many ailments and relieve some problems, if you follow the measure. The recommended daily measure is 50-70 grams of fresh berries.
How to save raspberries for the winter
After any heat treatment (cooking, drying), part of the useful properties of the product is lost. But freezing allows you to save most of the nutrients.
The health benefits of raspberries, both fresh and frozen, are not much different.
In frozen raspberries, almost the entire composition of minerals and other useful components is preserved. It is effective for removing toxins, toxins from the body, it is recommended for pain in the joints, excellent effect on the cardiovascular system, increases immunity. Recommended for women during PMS.
Raspberries, like other berries, need to be properly frozen. Before freezing, raspberries must be carefully sorted, washed and dried. It is good to freeze it both with whole berries and grated. In mashed potatoes you can add sugar and freeze, for example, in ice molds. It is convenient to add such tasty, healthy “cubes” in winter to tea.
The post Impressive Health Benefits of Raspberries appeared first on INStiks.